Solid Waste Research

Program Information

Proposals are sought for research into alternative methods of solid waste disposal, including the reduction of the amount of solid waste generated, the reuse and recycling of materials, composting, source separation, and the disposal of household hazardous waste.

Research proposals may consider the environmental effects of the technologies being researched and measures that could be taken to mitigate such effects.  Applied research designed to provide benefits to persons who generate solid waste and to public and private entities responsible for collection, storage, transportation, treatment or disposal of solid waste, is encouraged.  Proposals are also sought for projects that will develop products or increase markets for products made from recycled materials.

Joint proposals in which industrial, business, or governmental organizations collaborate with UW System faculty or staff in addressing these issues are encouraged and will be given special consideration. In such joint proposals, the organization is strongly encouraged to provide resources in the form of direct monetary or in-kind contributions in support of the proposed research projects.

Proposals may request up to $30,000.  Projects funds must be expended or encumbered prior to 30 June 2015.

Deadline and Submission Information

Program Deadline: TBA FOR 2014-2015

NOTE: This program is closed and NOT soliciting applications. Applicants may contact Laurie Taylor (, x5289) to be added to our Request Log to receive the new Request for Proposals [RFP] if/when it is released. Applicants should not develop an application based on the RFP posted on this page—it is provided for informational/historical purposes only. 

Applicants must contact Eileen Norby, Solid Waste Research Program Manager (, 608-262-8252), to discuss the proposed concept/idea prior to proposal submission.

Applicants must work closely with the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs to develop a budget associated with this program.  Institutions are required to provide match funding in support of personnel fringe benefits; the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will assist with calculating the proposed institutional match for fringe benefits.